How do you remove scratches from a motorcycle fairing?
Wash the fairing with warm, soapy water and a sponge. Add some liquid detergent to the water or motorcycle soap to remove dust and other debris. Apply some plastic polishing product in a circular motion with a soft sponge over the scratched area on the fairing. You can also use an all-in-one polish product.
How do you repair fiberglass motorcycle fairings?
First, clean the area again. Then, cut out pieces of fiberglass mat or cloth (mat is slightly stronger but cloth is easier to work with) in the shape desired. Then mix the fiberglass resin with the catalyst as per the instructions on the box. One or two ounces is all that is needed for most repairs.
What do fairings do on a motorcycle?
A motorcycle fairing is a shell placed over the frame of some motorcycles, especially racing motorcycles and sport bikes, with the primary purpose to reduce air drag.
Why does toothpaste remove scratches?
The toothpaste is like a grinding paste that takes away a very fine layer of the glass. It levels the glass around the scratch to the same level as the scratch itself, thereby hiding the scrath. If the scratch is deep then this method will not work, as too much of the glass has to be polished away.
How do you wet sand a motorcycle fairing?
How to Sand & Paint Motorcycle Fairings
- Remove the fairing and clean it with the alcohol-based cleaner.
- Sand the fairing with 400-grit sandpaper, paying careful attention to the grooves. …
- Clean the fairing with the microfiber towel, removing all the residual dust from sanding.
Can you repair plastic with fiberglass?
Things You’ll Need
Fiberglass is commonly used for repairs or reinforcement on materials such as plastic, wood, metal, and even Styrofoam. Fiberglass will bond to almost any surface as long as the surface is properly prepared and scuffed.
What is a fiberglass repair kit?
Everything You Need for Fiberglass Repair
The repair kit includes cloth, resin and hardener, along with a mixing tray, mixing stick and a spreader for straightforward application over cracks and metal rust-outs. The resin bonds to metals, and hardens to a sandable surface in less than two hours.
How do I paint my plastic fairings motorcycle?
How to Paint Plastic Fairings
- Sand the plastic fairings. It’s important to have an appropriate surface for primer and paint to adhere to. …
- Prime the surface of the fairings. …
- Apply a very thin coat of your base color. …
- Wet sand over the thin layer of color. …
- Apply the base color coat. …
- Apply a clear lacquer coat.